Monday, December 27, 2010

Corporate Tees: SAD EXCUSE for Workout Gear

So I’ve been following up on my own advice from a few posts back and doing my t shirt watching at the gym this winter. Lately, I've been seeing a new t shirt trend.

This year it just seems like there's been a massive increase in the amount of people wearing corporate tees as workout gear. Probably this is because I work out at New York Health and Racquet Club, which is a yuppie haven. For example, would this be happening as much at a Dolphin or a Crunch? (No offense if you work out there! I've attended both, and built some good muscle in the process!!! I should mention I am something of a gym fanatic, and have been to every single gym you can imagine, from Equinox to New York Sports Club, where I was a V.I.P. member, meaning I attended for half a year on their free passes ;) and also to L.A. Fitness on the West Coast, which kicked butt).

But I've been working out at NYHRC for over a year now, and I have only been noticing this trend lately? People are turning the gym into one huge networking event. Don't you want to unwind from work? Do you think we really care that you work for Goldman Sachs, or participated in a weekend of corporate apple picking with Skadden? You'd think if you made all that Christmas bonus money you might actually have the dough to splurge on buying something creative to wear from a fun t shirt site. Why would anybody want to wear tee shirt for your law firm’s weekend retreat you complained about attending? And the phony work tees are just as bad, almost as bad as the gas station workshirts some kids at my high school used to wear to get under the principal's skin. Do you actually work for Dunder Mifflin? Nobody does! Get over it, "The Office" is just a show!